Revision March 2017
Note: WG 9 has been disbanded. With the establishment of SC 42, JTC 1 transferred the JTC 1/WG 9 program of work to SC 42 “Artificial Intelligence” (Resolution 13 of JTC 1 Plenary 2017).
Establishment of WG 9 Big Data
2014-11, ISO/IEC JTC 1 27th Plenary in Abu Dhabi, UAE
JTC 1 established JTC 1/WG 9 on Big Data reporting directly to JTC 1. JTC 1 appointed Mr. Wo Chang to serve as Convenor of the JTC 1/WG 9.
In JTC 1 Plenary 2014, JTC 1/WG 9 has been established with the following Terms of Reference:
- Serve as the focus of and proponent for JTC 1’s Big Data standardization program.
- Develop foundational standards for Big Data —including reference architecture and vocabulary standards—for guiding Big Data efforts throughout JTC 1 upon which other standards can be developed.
- Develop other Big Data standards that build on the foundational standards when relevant JTC 1 subgroups that could address these standards do not exist or are unable to develop them.
- Identify gaps in Big Data standardization.
- Develop and maintain liaisons with all relevant JTC 1 entities as well as with any other JTC 1 subgroup that may propose work related to Big Data in the future.
- Identify JTC 1 (and other organization) entities that are developing standards and related material that contribute to Big Data, and where appropriate, investigate ongoing and potential new work that contributes to Big Data.
- Engage with the community outside of JTC 1 to grow the awareness of and encourage engagement in JTC 1 Big Data standardization efforts within JTC 1, forming liaisons as is needed.
Establishment of Study Group on Big Data
2013-11, ISO/IEC JTC 1 26th Plenary in Palais des Congrès, Perros-Guirec, France
JTC 1 established a Study Group on Big Data for consideration of Big Data activities across all of JTC 1. JTC 1 appointed Mr. Wo Chang as the Convenor of the Study Group.
In JTC 1 Plenary 2013, JTC 1 Study Group on Big Data has been established with the following Terms of Reference:
- Survey the existing ICT landscape for key technologies and relevant standards /models/studies /use cases and
- scenarios for Big Data from JTC 1, ISO, IEC and other standards setting organizations,
- Identify key terms and definitions commonly used in the area of Big Data,
- Assess the current status of Big Data standardization market requirements, identify standards gaps, and
- propose standardization priorities to serve as a basis for future JTC 1 work, and
- Provide a report with recommendations and other potential deliverables to the 2014 JTC 1 Plenary.
The Study Group on Big Data produced the report within a year and the document is available at the ISO website http://www.iso.org/iso/big_data_report-jtc1.pdf
|Convenor||Mr. Wo Chang|
|Secretary||Ms. Sally Seitz
Ms. Jennifer Garner (Inception – July 2016)
|Technical Programme Manager||Mr. Henry Cuschieri|
- ISO/IEC 20546 Information technology – Big data – Overview and vocabulary
- ISO/IEC 20547 Information Technology – Big data Reference architecture (5 Parts)
- Part 1: (TR) Framework and Application Process
- Part 2: (TR) Use Cases and Derived Requirements
- Part 3: (IS) Reference Architecture
- Part 4: (IS) Security and Privacy Fabric (under SC 27/WG 4/5)
- Part 5: (TR) Standards Roadmap
JTC 1/WG 9 established liaisons with 11 ISO, IEC and JTC 1 internal entities and 2 external entities as 2016.
- 1st F2F meeting: 7 – 9 April 2015, Bremen, Germany
- 2nd F2F meeting: 7 – 9 July 2015, Ciudad Real, Spain
- 3rd F2F meeting: 1 – 4 December, Brasilia, Brazil
- 4th F2F meeting: 8 – 11 March, Dublin, Ireland
- 1st IWBDS (full day): 16 speakers, 50+ attendees
- 5th F2F meeting: 12 – 15 July 2015, Beijing, China
- 2nd IWBDS (half day): 8 speakers, 80+ attendees
- 6th F2F meeting: 29 Nov. – 2 Dec. 2016, Virginia, US
- 3rd IWBDS (half day): 8 speakers, 20+ attendees
Note: IWBDS – International Workshop in Big Data Standards