Revision March 2017
JTC 1 Working Group 11 on Smart Cities was established on ISO/IEC JTC 1 30th Meeting in October 2015. But its history can go back to 2013. Before the establishment of WG11, JTC 1 established a Study Group on Smart Cities on ISO/IEC JTC1 28th Meeting in November 2013. And the Study Group on Smart Cities can be abbreviated as SG1 on Smart Cities.
- 2013-11, the 28th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1 in Perros-Guirec, France
JTC 1 established a Study Group on Smart Cities and confirmed its terms of reference. JTC 1 accepted the appointment of the Chinese National Body of Ms Yuan Yuan to serve as convenor and Ms Liu Tangli to serve as the secretary for the JTC 1 Study Group on Smart Cities.
- 2015-10, the 30th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1 in Beijing, China
Contingent upon approval of a relevant NWIP, JTC 1 established JTC 1 Working Group 11 on Smart Cities which would directly report to JTC 1 and confirmed its terms of reference. China would take the responsibility of secretariat and JTC 1 appointed Ms. Yuan Yuan as the convenor and Ms. Liu Tangli as the secretary.
- 2016-11, the 31th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1 in Lillehammer, Norway
JTC1 appointed Qian Heng as the JTC 1/WG 11 convenor with 3 years ’tenure.
Based on the resolution of 30th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1 (ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 12864), JTC 1 established JTC 1 Working Group 11 on Smart Cities which would directly report to JTC 1 with the following terms of reference:
- Serve as the focus of and proponent for JTC 1’s Smart Cities standardization program.
- Develop foundational standards for the use of ICT in Smart Cities – including the Smart City ICT Reference Framework and an Upper Level Ontology for Smart Cities – for guiding Smart Cities efforts throughout JTC 1 upon which other standards can be developed.
- Develop a set of ICT related indicators for Smart Cities in collaboration with ISO/TC 268.
- Develop additional Smart Cities’ standards and other deliverables that build on these
- Identify JTC 1 (and other organization) subgroups that are developing standards and related material that contribute to Smart Cities, and where appropriate, investigate ongoing and potential new work that contributes to Smart Cities.
- Develop and maintain liaisons with all relevant JTC 1 subgroups.
- Engage with the community outside of JTC 1 to grow the awareness of, and encourage
engagement in, JTC 1 Smart Cities standardization efforts within JTC 1, forming liaisons as is
- Ensure a strong relationship with Smart Cities activities in ISO and IEC.
|WG11 Convenor||Mr. QIAN Heng||China||November 2016 –|
|WG11 Convenor||Ms. YUAN Yuan||China||October 2015 – October 2016|
|WG11 Secretary||Ms. LIU Tangli||China||October 2015 –|
WG11 members come from 26 countries including China, France, United States, Austria, India, United Kingdom, Mexico, Germany, Russian Federation, Luxembourg, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Australia, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Finland, Israel, Sweden, Slovenia, Singapore, Spain, Italy, Denmark, and Norway.
5. Technical work
WG 11 has initiated 6 work items, including:
|1||Information technology – Smart city ICT reference framework- Part 1: Smart city business process framework (ISO/IEC AWI 30145-1)||WD|
|2||Information technology – Smart city ICT reference framework- Part 2: Smart city knowledge management framework (ISO/IEC AWI 30145-2)||WD|
|3||Information technology – Smart city ICT reference framework- Part 3: Smart city engineering framework (ISO/IEC AWI 30145-3)||WD|
|4||ICT Indicators (ISO/IEC AWI 30146)||WD|
|5||Smart city concept model – Guidance for establishing a model for data interoperability (ISO/IEC FDIS 30182)||FDIS|
|6||Information technology – An upper level ontology for smart city indicators(ISO/IEC AWI 21972)||Approved|
6. Main events
- In May 2013, China submitted a proposal titled China Contribution on possible future work on Smart Cities in JTC 1 to ISO/IEC JTC1/SWG 3 and initiated to establish a study group on smart cities. This proposal was approved in ISO/IEC JTC1/SWG 3 plenary meeting, 19/20 June 2013 in Paris, France.
- In November 2013, JTC 1 established a Study Group on Smart Cities and confirmed its terms of reference. (Resolution No.3 from ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 11894 “Resolutions Adopted at the 28th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 4-9 November 2013 in Perros-Guirec, France”)
- In September 2014, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SG 1 report was completed and Submitted to JTC 1 2014 Plenary.
- In November 2014, JTC 1 reconstitutes the Study Group on Smart Cities. Since then, the group starts its second stage. (Resolution No.23 from ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 12395 “Resolutions Adopted at the 29th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1 15-20 November 2014 in Abu Dhabi, UAE” )
- In September 2015, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SG 1 report of its second stage was completed and submitted to JTC 1 2015 Plenary.
- In October 2015, JTC 1 established JTC 1 Working Group 11 on Smart Cities and appointed Yuan Yuan to serve as the convenor and Liu Tangli to serve as secretary. (Resolution No.15 from ISO/IEC JTC 1 N12864”Resolutions Adopted at the 30th Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 26-31 October, 2015 in Beijing, China”).
- In November 2016, Qian Heng was appointed JTC 1/WG 11 convenor (through the 2019 Plenary). (Resolution No.5 from ISO/IEC JTC 1 N13270 “Resolutions Adopted at the 31st Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 7-10 November 2016 in Lillehammer, Norway”)
7.1 Liaisons with JTC1, ISO and IEC entities
JTC 1/WG 11 has established liaisons with 15 JTC1, ISO and IEC entities. These entities include JTC1/WG7(Note: merged into SC 41), JTC1/WG9, JTC 1/WG10(Note: merged into SC 41), JTC1/SC7, JTC1/SC27/WG5, JTC1/SC38, ISO/TC268, ISO/TC268/SC1, ISO/TC268/WG2, ISO/TC268/WG3, ISO/TC268/WG4, ISO/TC211, IEC/SyC Smart Cities, JTC1/SC 41, JTC 1/SC 24.
7.2 Liaisons with external entities
JTC1/ WG11 has established liaisons with 9 external entities. These entities include ITU-T SG20, ITU-T JCA- IoT and SC&C, OGC, TM Forum, CEN/CENELEC/ETSI SSCC-SF, International TC on IoT and Smart City Framework, IEEE Standards Association, INCOSE, ITU-T SG17.
8. Recording of Meetings
8.1 SG1 Meetings
- JTC 1/SG 1 1st plenary meeting: 2014.03.26-03.28 in Beijing, China
- JTC 1/SG 1 2nd plenary meeting: 2014.09.03-09.05 in London, Britain
- JTC 1/SG 1 3rd plenary meeting: 2015.03.04-03.06 in Beijing, China
- JTC 1/SG 1 4th plenary meeting: 2015.09.02-09.04 in Montreal, Canada
8.2 WG11 Meetings
- JTC1/WG11 1st plenary meeting: 2016.05.30-06.03 in Singapore
- JTC1/WG11 2nd plenary meeting: 2016.09.19-09.23 in Cagliari, Italy
- JTC1/WG11 3rd plenary meeting: 2017.02.20-02.24 in Xiamen, China
- JTC1/WG11 4th plenary meeting: 2017.06.19-06.23 in Southampton, Britain(to be held)
- JTC1/WG11 5th plenary meeting: 2017.10-09-10.13 in Saint Petersburg, Russia(to be held)